Saturday, July 04, 2009

Couch sportatoes

Someone told me that I have some USA readers. For that reason I cannot resist apologizing for the recent trash talk. And I have to apologize for this article which involves hockey. But in Canadian terms hockey the favorite spectator sport lies with the American moral attachment to baseball. I try to use hockey as a life allegory.

Look to the rays of the sun streaming in through the south windows. Swat the couch. Watch the dust rise in the still air, and fall back.

Free Agency came to the staggering National Hockey League a couple of days ago. Dozens of players went everywhere. It was like the dust from the couch. When the free agents all were in the air and falling to the ground it became obvious that whatever the frenzy nothing much had changed. Toronto a light fast team that couldn't score goals changed into a tough slow team that still can't score goals.

Like swat a dirty couch. After you will still have a dusty couch.

1 comment:

Cinaedh said...

Are you trying to say there's too many teams and not enough good players, born and bred to fill the rosters?

I've been saying that since they expanded from the original six.

I'm pleased to see you finally caught up with reality.