Monday, June 01, 2009

June First... The third greatest day in Canadian history.

June 1st, 2009.

I am looking up and down Queen Street. The Moss Park armory looks quiet and undisturbed. No US Tanks.

Pinch me. Today when my fellow Canadians cross the US border, show your passport. You are truly a foreigner, like a Mexican. ***

To the USA guys.

American Revolution 1776-2009, defeat.

War of 1812 - 2009, defeat.

War on Terror 2001-2009, defeat.


***And don't kid yourself... Someday soon... those people without a commercial border pass... will have to apply to the US Consulate for a visitor's visa. Its coming... Its coming.

1 comment:

Cineadh said...

***

...he said, tongue firmly planted in his cheek.

I don't know if it's a great idea to go around unnecessarily antagonizing an elephant, who is at the best of times more than slightly unstable and who is currently in a highly irritable, cranky frame of mind.

What you write is true to a point but I think we'll have to accept the American Revolution was successful enough --- close enough for hand grenades or nuclear weapons, anyway.

The War of 1812? I feel there's an argument for calling it a draw but since we're still here, that one sure seems like a win to me, too.

The last item? I dunno.

In fact Canada is also fighting the war on terror as an ally and while it seems unlikely anyone is ever going to totally defeat the Taliban in Afghanistan, that one is far from over on this date. We may have to redefine the word 'win' but there's still a possibility.

As for a visitor's visa to enter the U.S.A., why not? I don't want to go there anymore anyway.

***