Saturday, February 14, 2009

Last year's catch installed


Good news! Just came back from the Post Office. I got my fish back from the taxidermist in Saskatchewan.

Me and the buddies put this up in my library this afternoon. It took some time and a couple of cases of beer. But its worth it.

I caught this little guppy on last year's fishing trip on Lake Scugog. At the time I only had my spinning rod, worms for bait and some 5lbs test. That's why it took an hour or so to land this critter. I think its a pike?

I needed much of the meat. I had a hunch that skeletons look cooler than the whole animal. Looking like I was right huh. The meat was stripped away from the bones. So the taxidermist fellow and me had a lot of good eating every Friday this year past.

Now I did have a picture of me landing this but after taking the pic I accidently forgot to put my cell phone in a safe place while I took a shower. It got wet. And the thing shorted out before I could transfer the image into a computer and safe keeping. C'est le vie.

Now you can see this live but I need you to write ahead and make a reservation. Right now there is a five year waiting list. Demand is demand.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's too bad about the cell phone malfunction.

So, did you snag it or did it go after the tiny little worm and manage to hook itself?

gord said...

The specially selected worm sent tantalizing pheramones into the water column and the fish could not resist my specially grown lure.

Anonymous said...

In other words, you snagged it?

gord said...

No. Any snagged fish is to be returned to the water. After gutting, skinning, battering, frying and eating, of course. Kersplash.

Anonymous said...

I remember fishing for salmon on a riverbank, close to Toronto. There were probably, slightly under a million people there, all fishing side by side. Our shoulders were all touching for many, many miles. Yeah, we called them 'miles' back then.

I thought we should apply to the Guinness Book of World Records for 'most fishermen per mile'.

All of them were using gigantic treble hooks the size of your head, sharp as daggers with 40-60 pound test line.

The idea seemed to be, throw the treble hook across the river to the other bank, then pull the hooks back towards you with a sudden, violent jerking motion.

In all my life, I've never seen so many fish, hooked through the tail.

What a bloody slaughter!

Lots of freezers got filled with salmon.

Not as big as yours, though!

gord said...

Nothing. I said nothing is as big as mine.

Anonymous said...

You're probably right. It's likely 'nothing' is just as big as yours!

:-)