Thursday, February 19, 2009

CWSS Intro

Oh lets see. St. Michael's Hospital radiology department reported the findings that I had two crushed vertrabrae in my upper back. They reported this fact about a year and half ago. The report also stated that it was the T-8 and T-10 disks in the spine. Further, the injury was sustained when I was young and not an adult.

In 1992, the back at the T-10 finally failed completely after working hard for most of my life. Had it been known that I had a broken back, I don't think I would have followed quite the same physical life activity that I did. Now, I am kinda crippled up. Could'a, would'a, should'a, and shuv't (CWSS).

That's the first issue. Its too late to use this vital information. I still wound up to be over 6 foot 3 inches in height. Imagine if I had that extra inch and a half. I would not have fit in any basement.

The second issue I can't do nothing about either. I mean which stupid incident or incidents caused this crushing. Paradoxically, I took care in lifting to protect my lower back. Now usually the vast majority of people with back problems get a very bad lower back and keep a good high back. In my case it was completely opposite. The forces needed to hurt a young back are considerable. It had to be a spectacular accident. I just can't figure out which one or two caused the disability.

In the second issue, it took quite a few months to come up with a list of the candidate incidents that worked for the condition. Each may be the incident. Or each may be the incident which just added. Now I can't go back and undo these events. By rights this should be a CWSS. Yet I am a curious little creature. Which incident caused this?

So in a series of CWSS blags I am going to outline one incident each time. Its a series. Its a problem. A problem that holds to no real solution. Beginning with CWSS_1, I will explore each incident. We could all have a vote after the series is done.

Now some will say, “Gordie, how many are there?”

I should point out is that I really don't know. When I tried to figure it out. I settle on a sum. Then that very night in that moment before I fell into the deep sleep, there came that revelation about one more incident. I would relive that incident, then realize that this particular crash would be an equal candidate for the broken back.

The one thing I am very happy about is that I managed to keep the ability to walk. It was sheer luck.

It could also be that I was just such a clutz that I was always doing something to cause pain. I just didn't pay attention.

You are also going to ask about the pain. Well there always has been a dull pain at those sites. I just didn't think that was abnormal. It did build up some pain resistance. For instance I get migraines but no headaches. So nerve injury must be severe for me to notice any injury.

So if you see an blag entry with the title with CWSS_x then this will be an incident which might be the time I broke my back. I’m still not sure which???

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This could be quite a unique series. You could title each one of the posts, something like:

"There are 10,000 ways to break your back in a small town, whose name shall never be mentioned on this blog. This is one of them!"

I like it. It has a nice ring to it.

On alternate weeks, you could run another series called, "There are at least a dozen ways to shoot yourself in your own brain. This is one of them!"

Perfect!