Thursday, October 30, 2008

Phillieyed

Phillies won the world series. Three years ago I got kicked off the Phillies fan website on Yahoo when I told them that the hiring of Pat Gillick meant that there was a good chance that they would get to the world series.

I am not a fan of the Phillies per se. However, I am convinced that Pat Gillick is one of the best General Managers to have been ever involved in baseball or any sport for that matter. I am a Gillick fan as absurd as that sounds. Where ever Gillick, went that team excelled under his stewardship.

For the Blue Jays he managed them to two world series. The Baltimore Orioles haven't been in the post season since he departed. Neither have the Jays come to think of it. The Mariners got to the post season. And now Gillick helped the long suffering Phillies into a World Series win. He is one of the rare General Managers who has guided a team to a World Series win out of both leagues, the American League and now the National League.

Gillick spent three years on a contract with each club after his long term with the Jays. I believe that he will seriously consider leaving the Phillies because he only intended to stay with them for the length of the contract. Despite

He especially surprised Philadelphia with his retention of Charlie Manuel as Field Manager.

Oh yeah. I am definitely going to remind that clown who booted me off that website. I saved his Yahoo messenga address. Oh Yeah.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What's this 'world series' thing? What's a 'phillie'? What's a 'gillick'?

Some 'Murrican scam to transfer wealth from the poor to the rich, no doubt.

"I told ya so!" ain't a noble phrase, mon ami!