Tuesday, October 21, 2008

A memory moment - Fessin up

Okay, okay, the fessing up time. Homer Simpson move over, yu'all got company.

Duuohh! Did it twice. No shit. The second time wasn't so complicated.

Sunny day, late fall hunting with my cherished .22 model Winchester model 69 long barrel, down on Angler Creek road. I hadn't sighted the rifle in. It was a bolt action type.

As we 'expert' hunters know carrying a rifle around in a car, regardless of the quality of the gun case, the sights can get jarred. The older the optic sight the more likely this was to happen. I wasn't to comfortable as where the thing was sending the bullet.

On the flats above and before Neys Prison grounds, I picked up an empty pop can of virgin surface and placed it on the gravel road letting it be a partridge like target. I walked back ten yards, chambered a round, sighted and fired away. As I did, a horsefly landed on my head.

The can didn't move, I walked up and the bullet had enterred it and the can hadn't twitched in its death throes. But there was two holes, one low on the bottom third and another return exit hole right above. Picking the can up. There was only one hole on the back and right at the base.

Then I looked at the road. I had perched the can just ahead and against of a boulder, unintentionally. Oh damn that wasn't a horsefly. Did it again. Almost shot myself twice.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Horseflies!

I really hate it when I get bitten by a horsefly. They're a real nuisance, flying around in the bush, munching merrily on exposed and not-so-exposed epidermis.

Have you ever considered you were ->this close<- to earning a Darwin Award?

For those unfamiliar with the Darwin Award, it's just a tiny bit of recognition for those humans who bravely contribute to the improvement of the species by managing to kill themselves before they figure out how to reproduce.

I have to admit, I'm glad you managed to avoid a Darwin Award, Gord! If nothing else, the world of words would have been a far lesser place without you.