Friday, October 03, 2008

Myth Take 001

Myth take numero uno. Those who say that hard work doesn't kill: LIARS.

Variation 1.1 Those who say that hard work is good for you: LiARs

Most of the guys with whom I started out in the American James Liver Marathon mill thingy. DEAD.

In memoriam,

Jimmy Stimpson. World war two veteran, Dieppe Raid. POW. Germans didn't kill him but work did. Dead. Cancer.

Vern Quinlan. Merchant Marine World War II, Murmansk and Halifax runs. Germans didn't kill him. Word did. Dead. Cancer.

Robert Ramsay. World War II Veteran. Test Pilot Air Force. Innovation didn't kill him. Work almost did. Survived into retirement. Throat Cancer.

This could go on. Except it makes me depressed. Remembering my mentors however, and expressing in anger their anger. Helps.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"Myth take numero uno. Those who say that hard work doesn't kill: LIARS.

Variation 1.1 Those who say that hard work is good for you: LiARs"


If you believe 'hard work is good for you', you must also believe the following:

Stealing refrigerators is hard work.
Hard work is good for you.
Stealing refrigerators is good for you.


On a more serious note, I did a Google search and while I found 1,490 instances of that line being quoted, it wasn't immediately obvious who first said it and I just didn't have the inclination or the time to do a more detailed search.

Obviously, I don't think hard work is good for me!

It's my guess, whoever originated that saying never worked a day in their lives but totally depended upon the labor of others for their own wealth and their own power.

For instance, I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't some priest or some other shaman who said it first.

It sounds like something a fat, lazy, con man would say.

Speaking of fat, lazy, con persons, I'll bet that phrase gets a hell of a good workout, every day these days, spouted by politicians and the CEOs of trans-national corporations.