Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Low wages get lower

Explore the bottom rung of the ladder. Ontario Premier "Goofy" McGuinty stated that he made a mistake. For the longest while I was at a lost at precisely which one on the long papered list that he fessed too.

Oh now it goes like this. He made a mistake. The minimum wage was not going up after all. Like every other economic downturn caused by the top tier of the social strata, its going to be the bottom feeding impoverished that are going to suffer for it. Like every other depression the burden is always felt by the poorest.

And all this coming from Ontario politicians who have never been shy of giving themselves raises at the time when they do the very least for the electorate. The callous behavior towards the lower strata of society appears to be growing.

Let them eat tuna. Forever.

1 comment:

Cinaedh said...

I'm afraid I've lost track of McGuinty's position on the minimum wage.

First he said it was a bad idea in harsh financial times (WTF?) and then I heard him say it was going to happen anyway.

Did he change his mind again, I wonder?

Considering the cost of everything I purchase (food) has increased and increased dramatically in the past couple of months, you're absolutely right; if they don't raise it, the minimum wage is headed straight down, not up and not the same.

This morning I found out Shaw Cable has ALREADY increased the cost of cable and/or Internet service for THIS month, without warning or explanation - or any corresponding improvement in service.

Perfect timing, neh? I guess the CEO and senior management needed a few more millions in bonuses this year. I, for one, am pleased to pay them - for precisely nothing - from my huge Disability Pension.