Thursday, March 19, 2009

Like whoops!



For the readers of this blag, it can be easy to understand the total perfection with which my incisive comments pierce to the cores of a wide range of topics. I hate to shatter that gilded view but recently even the 238 can make a bone headed mistake.

Brother took time. A lot of friends know that there has been recent acrimony amongst those who should be close family members, but aren't. But he did take the time to notify me as to the sudden death of a classmate and team mate "Steve Will".

For a lot of reasons, I just couldn't believe it. Steve Will was one of those golden haired people, the blessed. One of those people that go through life, doing perfect things. He first married a wonderful person Lynne who was the best looking cheerleader in high school. He was successful at everything. He was a jock though and for that he wasn't a close friend of my tiny pantheon of good friends. On the other hand, there was a measure of respect for the guy.

Any way, I refused to believe the information at first. There had to be some sort of mistake. The news was terrible. Like I had lost touch with the old ones in TWNBMB. What's it been almost a full decade since I was in TWNBMB. Anyway I made a mistake for which I am sorry about. I told him that it couldn't be... and gave my usual bullshit as to why.

Like I said, Don took the time and thought to tell me albeit the coolness of the relationship. At first I did get it wrong. For all that though, I really did appreciate the effort.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

WHENEVER Richard Cory went down town,
We people on the pavement looked at him:
He was a gentleman from sole to crown,
Clean favored, and imperially slim.

And he was always quietly arrayed,
And he was always human when he talked;
But still he fluttered pulses when he said,
"Good-morning," and he glittered when he walked.

And he was rich—yes, richer than a king,
And admirably schooled in every grace:
In fine, we thought that he was everything
To make us wish that we were in his place.

So on we worked, and waited for the light,
And went without the meat, and cursed the bread;
And Richard Cory, one calm summer night,
Went home and put a bullet through his head.

~Edwin Arlington Robinson

gord said...

Huh? What's this got to do with the price of cheese in Kensington Market? What depressing verse.

Anonymous said...

"Steve Will was one of those golden haired people, the blessed. One of those people that go through life, doing perfect things. He first married a wonderful person Lynne who was the best looking cheerleader in high school. He was successful at everything."

...just like Richard Cory, with much the same result.

gord said...

No... Big difference. Cory deliberately committed suicide. Steve didn't. He wasn't even the snowmobile operator at the time.