Saturday, April 21, 2007

Kneed to know Part 8

A rambunctuious period of inaction to be sure. After the surgery the knee began to feel good almost immediately. Just the swelling was painful. Now it is three weeks and yesterday I began going out without a cane for the first time in a full calender knee.

However, I will use the cane in the future. It allows a seat at the front of the street car.

Modern medicine is wonderful. Yet I cannot thinking about the loss of the good old days. You see I got three little holes where the surgical probes went into repair some of the tears in the knee. That's a problem.

Remember the guys, stinking drunk on a case of beer and the cheapest rye, would sit around. "Hey wanna see my scar!" one always says.

"Shit that's bugger all" says another even drunker whistler. Drops the pants, "Look at this...."

Ah for the good old days. Show, tell and brag. Then the whole crowd lifts shirts, pull downs pants, pulls off socks in a chorus "Well I got this... !"

Now think. A whole year of dragging this pained appendage around and what have I got to show? Nothing.



.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

If we could figure a way to transfer them along with the pain, you could have my chest, left arm and the knee-to-ankle scars on both my legs.

Since they did the angiogram in my arm, I'm sorry but I don't have a crotch scar I can give you.

You could even have the shrapnel scar on my back and the long, ugly scar on my knee. I'm not reduced to using them for bragging - yet.

Seriously, congrats on the successful operation and I hope it all becomes a dull, distant memory very soon.